Wednesday, April 16, 2008

vacation

I’m not going to get all maudlin over the predictable response to seeing my parents age. It is a fact of life and my people are not sentimental. But I find I hold on a little tighter to our time together. I worry a tad more about colds that take longer to go away. However, the conversations continue to be philosophical, silly, political, culinary, familial and nostalgic. In a word, wonderful.

This is most decidedly a gift of time. We have had our anger and our healing and now, now we have time to linger. Like sitting around a table after a particularly satisfying meal (food analogies = scripture for me), we enjoy slow lazy moments of reflection and contentment.


And of course, sometimes the contentment hits a snag. No matter, the ups and downs are not extreme but I am extremely grateful to be here.

No comments: