Thursday, February 01, 2007

a very sad day

Molly Ivins is dead. As a non-believer, I always said that if I had any pseudo-religious monuments in my house, I'd set up an altar to Tom Waits and one to Molly Ivins. She made this displaced Yankee proud to be a Texan. I somehow don't think she'd have any patience for my sorrow (or anyone else's) though I am terribly sad that she is no longer with us. Sadder than I've been at the loss of any public figure in my life. She would probably, in that rare blend of no-bullshit/southern belle wit, just tell me and everyone else to get out there “Raise more hell.” Here's to you, Molly, we'll stop blubbering in a minute and start banging the pots and pans:

From today's Chronicle:

In her last column, in mid-January, she said she was starting a newspaper crusade to stop the war. "Raise hell," she urged readers. "Think of something ridiculous to make the ridiculous look ridiculous. ... We need people in the streets, banging pots and pans and demanding, 'Stop it, now!' "

No comments: