Sunday, January 01, 2006

happy anomaly

I am conscious of, but not concerned about, my age and gender in a profession of 20-30 year-old men who probably spent significant parts of their adolescence drawing comic book panels, gripping video game controllers or creating role-playing characters. Mostly because I am engaged, enchanted and enthusiastic about working with these guys. They are smart and funny and don't seem ill-at-ease with me at all. My job is to maintain my own unique, creative approach to web design and animation. I love what I do. And I try at all times to avoid adopting a maternal approach in my relationship with them. (Though I admit, occasionally my inner "Ancient Wise One" rises to the surface.)

It's wonderful to have 47 years of chronological experience and a passion that feels ageless. It's great to be a female–and a sexual oddity to boot–
in this profession and feel, for all intents and purposes, that I am not held back by that. Not as long as I treat that fact as just one aspect of what I bring to the table. Expecting to be respected (for my work) and wanting to be treated with deference (for my age or gender) are two totally different things. I'd just as soon they forgot my age and gender most of the time.

Btw, I did read the D&D Master manual when my son was younger. Dungeon Master. I liked the way it sounded but didn't ever get the hang of it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what you're talking about, Enita.

I rolled the dice, and my Half-Elf Warrior/Florist attacks the nerdy web designer with his +5 Sword of Cascading Style Sheets.