Saturday, September 24, 2005

tom waits on the day after

Heard an interview with Tom Waits on American Routes. It was particularly sweet to stumble upon this taped interview because, well, I am a huge fan of Waits (I hate saying I'm a huge fan because the modifier seems to slip around the sentence a bit), and after the pressure of the past few days it cheered me right up.

They played a particularly fabulous piece from Real Gone called Day After Tomorrow. I tried to put the whole song in a two-column table but Blogger.com evidently doesn't like that, so I'm just including part of the song (I added italics to lyrics I particularly liked because it's my blog, dammit):

    I close my eyes
    Every night
    And I dream that I can hold you
    They fill us full of lies
    Everyone buys
    About what it means to be a soldier
    I still don't know how I'm supposed to feel
    About all the blood that's been spilled
    Look out on the street
    Get me back home
    On the day after tomorrow
    You can't deny
    The other side
    Don't want to die
    Any more than we do
    What I'm trying to say,
    Is don't they pray
    To the same God that we do?
    Tell me, how does God choose?
    Whose prayers does he refuse?
    Who turns the wheel?
    And who throws the dice
    On the day after tomorrow?
    Mmmmmmm...
    I'm not fighting
    For justice
    I am not fighting
    For freedom
    I am fighting
    For my life
    And another day
    In the world here
    I just do what I've been told
    You're just the gravel on the road
    And the one's that are lucky
    One's come home
    On the day after tomorrow

No comments: